Green Card Approved for Newport Beach Client After Marriage to U.S. Citizen

August 8th, 2009
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS
  • Technorati
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon

A Newport Beach client who married her husband in 2008 was approved for a green card and lawful permanent resident status this week. She is originally from Japan, and her husband is a US Citizen. The couple has been together since 2007, and they currently live in Newport Beach in Orange County, California. Shortly after their marriage in 2008, they came to The Nunez Firm looking for representation in the adjustment of status process.

She originally entered the United States on an employment-based visa. While working in Irvine, she met her husband, and they were married one year later. We filed the necessary forms including the I-130, I-485, I-864, I-765 and all the necessary evidence and accompanying forms in 2008. I attended the adjustment of status interview with the couple earlier this year, and we recently received the approval notice. Because the marriage is less than two years old, she will be a conditional lawful permanent resident for two years. Once the two year deadline is drawing to a close, she will file an I-751 jointlywith her husband along with evidence proving their marriage is bona fide and valid. If all goes well, the conditions will be removed. She will be eligible to become a naturalized citizen three years from now.

The adjustment of status process is as follows: Once the couple marries in the United States, the US citizen files an I-130 visa petition along with the I-485 adjustment of status application with the National Benefits Center in Chicago. Along with these forms, the couple should include an I-864, G-325A form for both petitioner and beneficiary, proof of US citizenship for petitioner, certified copy of the marriage certificate, and proof that all previous marriages have been terminated. Other forms and evidence may be required depending on the specific facts of the case. Once the forms and evidence are filed, an interview will be scheduled for the petitioner and beneficiary. The couple is allowed to bring an attorney with them to the interview. If all goes well at the interview, the alien spouse will be granted conditional permanent resident status.

Although obtaining a green card based on a marriage to a US citizen is a common process, it can quickly become complicated, delayed and problematic if not done correctly. It is important to consult with an experienced immigration attorney before beginning the process. Failing to provide the correct evidence and forms to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services can result in extensive delays and denials.

The Nunez Firm offers free consultations in order to discuss your immigration situation and explain the immigration options available to you. Contact The Nunez Firm today to schedule an appointment.

Share and Enjoy

, , , , , , , , ,

  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

site by hikanoo